6 of our favorite FREE things to do in Madison with kids
Updated: Jan 30, 2020
Let’s face it having kids means bleeding out funds. Sometimes its fun to challenge our normal instinct of appeasing the little's with whatever is easiest and instead discover FREE adventures in Madison. Here are our 6 favorite things to do!
1. Henry Vilas Zoo – It’s my go to when we actually have time and the weather is nice. We love checking out our animal friends, but you can’t beat that playground. Their imagination can just run wild while they are climbing and sliding! Even though it is a free zoo we always make a donation to help keep it that way!
2. Dream Park at Winnequah Park in Monona. We are East siders so this is also location based, but this has been our favorite park since our oldest was a toddler. From the dragon to the towers it provides great shade, hours of entertainment and a beautiful setting for a picnic.
3. Exploring the Capitol building. We love climbing the stairs, checking out the flowers, looking up at the dome and watching all the people.
4. Biking our many bike paths. This is a great way to get exercise and park hop as a family!
5. Science Saturdays at the Discovery Building - An absolute must during the winter months! This is an incredibly cool experience for kids from 1-10. Interaction based activity stations with a different theme every month. They are the first Saturday of every month from 10am-12pm. You have to experience this with your kids!
6. Olbrich Biergarten – Ok it’s not free for us grownups if you’re beer drinkers like us. It is however, an incredible destination that allows carry-ins. The kids can enjoy bags, the beach, the sand box or giant Jenga! And of course you can't beat the view!