11 Fun Facts About Madison
Updated: Jan 30
As seen in Goodnight Madison.
1. Nestled between lakes Monona and Mendota, Madison is one of only two major US cities on an isthmus. Seattle, Washington is the other!
2. The Dane County Farmer's Market is the largest producer-only market in the US.
3. Stella's Bakery sells over 64,000 loaves of hot spicy cheese bread a year.
4. The Overture Center for the Arts was built with funding of two local families, making it the largest private gift in Madison arts history.
5. In 2001, Ian's Pizza developed the Mac 'n Cheese pizza for their original menu!
6. A city ordinance prevents any new building from being taller than the Capitol dome - which makes our Capitol the tallest building in Madison.
7. The Henry Vilas Zoo is one of only 10 remaining free zoos in North America.
8. Madison is one of only 5 platinum-level bike cities in the US and has been named one of the best cities on earth for biking! The other four are: Boulder and Fort Collins, Colorado; Davis, California; and Portland, Oregon.
9. Over 25 breweries call Madison home.
10. Madison has the most park playgrounds per 100,000 residents.
11. If you catch a foul ball at a Mallard's game, you are awarded a free hot dog!